May 04, 2010

Lauren's* Adirondack Red Wing Burgers


My beautiful wife texted me asking when I was coming home from work. I tend to work late, but I was able to escape a bit early and she told me that she was going to make Adirondack Red Wing Burgers for dinner. Knowing my love for buffalo wings, and being a huge supporter of The Wingmen, she knew this would get me to come home even faster. It worked. I am nothing but predictable.

My whole drive home I was completely intrigued. I had no idea what to expect other than a buffalo wing inspired burger. I kind of thought they would be beef, then said to myself, "don't be an idiot, it will be a chicken pattie," and then thought, does it really matter, it will be a burger of some sort with hot sauce. How can it be anything but brilliant?

When I got home, she had just began making them, so I was able see the whole process. She started with ground chicken meat and added sauteed onions, carrots and celery to the meat. She made them into patties and pan fried them in olive oil. When they were just about ready, she removed them from the pan and then melted butter in the pan and poured in some hot sauce. When the hot sauce and butter blended together, she put the burgers back in the pan and cooked them a bit longer on each side. They absorbed the hot sauce and then she covered them with crumpled bleu cheese and a slice of cheddar. When the cheeses were melted, she put them on large toasted English muffins. The bottom half of the English muffin was lined with shredded lettuce and the burger was placed on top of it. She then finished the meal off with corn and French fries.

This was an amazing burger. First of all, chicken meat is just juicier than turkey meat and the blended tastes of the sauteed veggies, cheeses, chicken and butter hot sauce were perfect together. I have not eaten a burger like that in my life and really feel that I have been deprived. If I could think of any way to improve the burger, it would be to make it hotter (I know, shocker right?). The butter hot sauce did not absorb into the burger as much as I would have liked, but a solution was found that night. The hot sauce left in the pan was collected and poured over the burger and the English muffin. This gave the meal a much better kick. So if you try to make these yourself, do not toss the Hot Sauce!
All in all, this is a Wingmen approved recipe! Thanks for the great dinner baby!

* My wife wants me to mention that she found this recipe on the Racheal Ray website.

No comments:

Post a Comment